Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Character: Environment and Machinery Development

As mentioned previously, the environment is going to have 3 layers to create depth. I've made rough sketches of what I have in mind for the environment.

In red, is the interactive part of the environment. As this is a platform game I want there to be opportunities to be on different levels throughout and not being stuck on the same level throughout. For this I was thinking of using fallen parts of the ceiling creating pathways, broken machinery and other objects to use to jump on to proceed. 

Continued work on the machinery I wanted in the lab and sketched out more ideas. I referenced more steampunk objects heavily again.

With these and machinery sketched out previously, I developed them more and decided on the style I wanted for the game.

Friday, 19 December 2014

Character: More Environment Development

As previously discussed with Justin, my game will be a platform game and his main concern was how I would go about doing the backgrounds. My main idea is for a 2D environment but creating depth with the use of silhouettes. My main influence for the style of the environment is the adventure game Ghost Trick, developed by Capcom for the Nintendo DS.

At the start of this project I was looking into sci-fi labs for the environment, but as the character design was forming I've realised from its colour scheme which I became quite fond of, it would be more suitable in a steampunk-esque environment instead.
I've collected some images of steampunk labs to influence the type of machinery and what-not that I want to include in the environments.

I quickly jotted down some ideas of what type of objects I'd like to use in the environment. I referenced more steampunk objects to design the machinery.

Thursday, 4 December 2014

Narrative: Environment Lighting and Texturing

The environment was passed onto me to do the texturing and lighting once the UVs were done.
I put some base textures down for whilst I do the lighting arrangements.

This was the first lighting arrangement that was done before the environment was given to me to work on, the main feedback for this was to take out lights from the light bulbs as it was too bright.

Firstly I took out all the directional lights before touching the light bulbs and adjusted the windows at the back.

Since the start of our animation is supposed to give an overall dull feel before the light change.

As there was no finalized design for the environment as a whole I made some adjustments to the machinery, placements of the crates and added paper littering the environment.

During the animation their is a slight colour change to the environment, so I added some pink lighting to suggest the romantic theme of with the use of an ambient light in the scene.

I took this shot into after effects to see what type of filter we could do for the "romantic" scene, it entirely depends on how over the top we'll be with it:

There are some lights above that need to be removed and designs on the posters to be laid out.

 Now that I had a good idea of the lighting I was able to concentrate on the texturing that we wanted. 

Changed the grating floor to a smaller, diamond shaped texture and reduced reflectivity.

Added a rusted brass texture to the machinery.

To differentiate between the boxes "UP" lettering added to them. Small screws were also added to the rollers on the conveyor belt so when animated a sense of movement is given.

"Valentine's" posters added.

Lighting touched up slightly and handed over to add the characters into the scene.